CDL Connection Student Blog

What's New at the Center for Distance Learning?

Bahr Scholarship Opportunity for Union Members and their Families

Posted by Diana Hawkins on March 28, 2012

“This is my second semester with the scholarship and with the financial help it has surely helped reduced the stress of going more into debt. I will have my bachelor’s degree in business administration with a major in human resource management. I have learned so much that I feel I would not have learned in a traditional classroom.”
Bahr Scholar, Kelly M.
Bachelor of Science in Business, Management and Economics

Bahr Scholars and the Center for Distance Learning
This scholarship, created in the name of Empire State College alumnus Morton Bahr, assists union members and other workers by furthering their educational goals and enhancing educational access through distance learning.

As a Bahr Scholar with Empire State College Center for Distance Learning (CDL), you can earn your entire degree online. Busy, working adults are increasingly turning to the web for quality education that fits into their lives. Whether you’re on the road or prefer to study from the comfort of your home, the Center for Distance Learning offers you the chance to reach your goals.

Work With Faculty
Online learning offers dedicated, disciplined students the ability to earn a degree or upgrade skills with our proven web-based education delivery. You will have the opportunity to work with a faculty mentor to develop an individualized degree program that builds upon your interests, life experiences, needs and goals. Through this flexible program, you may work at times and locations that are convenient. Students communicate with faculty and course instructors by means of e-mail, telephone and through discussion areas online.

Stimulating, Challenging Courses
Center for Distance Learning courses are completely self-contained and are highly interactive through discussions with the instructor and other students.  With online learning, you progress at your own rate, and as a Bahr Scholar, you can take up to 2 courses for a maximum 8 credits per term. Keep in mind, however, that online courses are rigorous, requiring the discipline of systematic study, concentrated reading and carefully written assignments. To be successful, you will need to set aside substantial blocks of time for study, logging into your courses at least three times per week.  For example, with a 4-credit course, you should plan on a minimum of 10 hours of study time per week.

Other Bahr Scholars share their thoughts:
Catherine G. –
“I finished my Associates Degree at Empire this past May and wasn’t sure I was going to continue to work for a Bachelor’s Degree. I have kids in college and high school and their education is more of a priority for me. Thanks to this scholarship, I will be able to complete my degree.  I am planning to earn a BS in Business Management and Economics.  I am excited and thankful for this wonderful opportunity.”

Zsuzsanna S. - “… I’m one year away from completing my degree in Social Theory, Social Structure and Change. Being a student at ESC has been a fantastic experience, and I met some really great people in the past two years.”

Robin J., B.S., Human Resources and Communications - “When the statement came from ESC the other day my husband and I looked at the $1700+ total and said to each other (again!) that without the Morton Bahr scholarship there’s no way I could be doing this.  It’s something I will remember for the rest of my life and always with deep gratitude and awe that there are people like Mr. Bahr out there whose ideals translate into action to make this a better world for working people.”

Cheryl O., B.A., Community and Human Services – “I felt like I had won the lottery when they called me! After I finished my degree plan and looked at all those classes it seemed like a huge hill to climb, but now I will be finished at the end of this year and get my degree. Never would have been possible without the scholarship! The best part is all of the support from the mentors and other staff at ESC.  I will miss that the most when I graduate, you get so much help and support here!”

Nancy D., B.A., Human Development - “This scholarship has made my life fantastic, and has given me amazing confidence in myself.”

Need More Information?
View this short video to tell you more about online learning at Empire State College or or additional information on the Morton Bahr Online Scholarship, visit this link to apply!