Running Head: My Philosophy of Nursing                                                                1

My Philosophy of Nursing

Roberta Lange

Empire State College

My Philosophy in Nursing                                                                                     2

When I started in nursing school over twenty years ago we had to write individual care plans for each one of our patients. This took hours and we all dreaded Tuesday nights. Our careplans had to include our patient’s disease, their stage of growth and development and educational teaching. I believe this is why I relate to Kings Theory of Nursing Blias et al., over everyone else’s. Kings theory consists of three dynamic interacting systems personal systems (individuals), interpersonal systems (groups) and social systems (society). Kings theory highlights the importance of the participation of all the individuals in decision making and deals with the alternatives and outcomes of nursing care. The theory offers insight into nurse’s interactions with individuals and groups with in the environment.

Personal systems (individuals) when writing our careplans we had Long term and short term goals. We had to evaluate our patients and decide how we were going to obtain these goals. We looked at all the aspects of the patient culture, spiritual belief and coping systems. This is going along with Kings Theory of goal setting; and would formulate an attainable goal for this individual. Let’s say this is a careplan for a total hip replacement.  Is the individual going to be able to deal with limited functional mobility short term? Is there gong to be a problem with self image? I would need to speak to this individual and find out what is going to be the most and least difficult aspect so we can share a frame of reference towards our goal.

Interpersonal systems (society), where is this patient from?  Are they communicating and able to interact? What is their role in society? Do they have good coping skills? When we looked at goals for this level it was important to know were our patient fits. If they are going to be quiet and stoic and not take pain medication, this will slow progress in therapy. Why don`t they want pain medication? Is it fear of addiction, where they under the impression that the pain would be gone after surgery? All of this factors into your goal of increasing functional mobility. Keep the lines of communication open so we can achieve our goals.

Social groups (society) are they part of an organization? Do they have authority? Are they able to make decisions? With a total joint replacement religious beliefs factor in, is your patient going to take a blood transfusion? If the answer is no then you better make sure they eat a diet rich in iron and explain the importance in this. Being anemic will slow their progress and bring on additional co morbidities.

In conclusion, Kings Theory highlights the importance of the participation of all the individuals in decision making and deals with the alternatives and outcomes of nursing care. The theory offers insight into nurse’s interactions with individuals and groups with in the environment Blias et al.  Our mutual goal was to return to prior level of functioning and with open communication and transactions occurring you lead to goal attainment therefore enriching both the nurse’s life and the patients. It is easier to overcome obstacles when you work as a team and involve all levels of disciplines. The most important part to remember is that patients are individuals and need to be treated as such.

References

Blais, K. K,; Hayes, J. S.; Kozier B.; Erb, G.(2006) Foundations of professional nursing  practice.       Professional nursing practice. 102. Upper Saddle River, NJ; Pearson Prentice Hall.

3 Responses to “My Philosophy of Nursing”

1. Roberta Lange708 says:

We where given instructions at school. I would recommend getting some assistance.

2. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would really benefit from a lot of the information you present here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Cheers!

3. Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks