Welcome to Empire State College’s Trauma and Stress Management web site. The purpose of the site is to provide you with basic information and extensive resources related to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), acute stress disorder (ASD) and traumatic brain injury (TBI). Whatever your reason for visiting this space, we hope you find it useful and informative. Feel free to comment, give feedback, use the blog, meet people, and find the answers you need.
As a student, faculty member or a person looking for information on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Acute Stress Disorder, or Traumatic Brain Injury, you could spend hours in the library or researching information online. The challenge with this process is sifting through the volumes and volumes of information on these topics. We’ve tried to provide you with basic information in one location along with access to easy-to-understand information and reliable resources.
This site includes six sections, accessible by clicking the tabs above:
- Defining – Provides basic definitions of each of the three conditions, the need to re-shape public perception, and an in-depth discussion of PTSD with special emphasis on how combat veterans are affected.
- Understanding – Focuses on more detailed descriptions of the sypmtoms and timelines used in the diagnoses of PTSD, ASD, and TBI, and on approaching an individual you are concerned might be suffering from one of these conditions.
- Treating – Describes various treatment forms and therapies, including self-help techniques, and how to evaluate whether a chosen therapy is working.
- Seeking Help – Offers advice on the referral process, selecting a therapist, insurance issues that might arise, and how to move past trauma and stress.
- In the Classroom – This section is specific to instructors, mentors and faculty. It outlines the responsibilities such an audience has when encountering behavioral issues, regardless of whether the source of the behavior problem resides in one of the trauma or stress issues discussed in the previous sections.
- Online Resources
Provides a list of resources and links you can use to access online journals, databases, RSS news feeds, and videos to learn more.
Use the tabs above and their corresponding sub-categories to navigate through the sequential modules.